Having a strong sense of purpose can lift our wellbeing, strengthen our resilience, and safeguard our mental health. That’s because living with purpose – and setting goals to help achieve our objectives – gives us something to focus on beyond worries and ‘what ifs’.
When we’re working towards something that really matters to us, we benefit from a true sense of achievement, a boost in self-confidence, and the clarity that focus and determination brings. And as long as the end goal is something that ignites your passion, it really doesn’t matter what camp your ambition falls into. You’ll reap the benefits just the same.
Whether you’re aiming for a promotion, committed to improving your fitness, keen to get a personal project off the ground, or focused on achieving greater peace of mind, goal-setting is the most effective way to bridge the gap between dreaming and achieving.
Our Top Goal-Setting Tips
- Start at the end: The first (and most important) step is to clearly visualise your end goal. Picture it in your mind with as much detail and focus as you can. Then write it down. Writing our goals out helps to firm them up into something more tangible.
- Be realistic about where you are now: You know where you want to get to, but what’s standing in the way? What obstacles do you need to overcome? What areas could you make improvements in? This isn’t about looking at yourself through a negative lens, but identifying all of the wonderful opportunities for growth and self-improvement.
- Set small steps: Having a sense of purpose should be a positive journey that increases your wellbeing – not something that fills you with overwhelm. So look at where you want to be, consider those obstacle you’ve already identified, and write down a series of small, achievable, realistic steps that you can take each day towards your goal.
- Don’t go it alone: Enlisting some help – whether that’s through the support of a friend or the structured guidance of an app – can make your journey smoother, and altogether more enjoyable. The GoVida platform is geared up to play the role of supportive friend and helpful guide: we’re all about setting goals, visualising success, and creating the camaraderie you need to be your best (whether you’re aiming for fitness, friendships, or peace of mind).
- Be forgiving: We’re all human, and we all have times when our goals feel too much – so whether you need to miss a run, take some time off work, skip that day’s meditation session, or simply veer off the path a little, don’t beat yourself up. Being forgiving will help you to stay motivated in the long-run.
Creating Healthy Goals
It can be really difficult to focus on self-improvement if you don’t have a sense of purpose or ‘end goal’ in mind. But don’t panic. Looking inwards, thinking about what matters to you, and planning out the steps that could enhance your life can all be incredibly fun. And it really doesn’t have to be anything ground-breaking or extreme.
You might just want to work on your fitness so you can run for the bus without feeling out of breath; or learn about mindfulness and meditation so you can tackle each day with a clearer head. You might of course have grander ambitions – like training for a triathlon or bagging that Directorship – and that’s great; as long as the goal you’ve set yourself makes you feel excited, and determined.
Why? Because excitement and determination fuel success: they help to keep you from feeling overwhelmed, and encourage you to stay on track with your goals when you may be flagging. And that’s why we designed our platform to speak to that ambition; that’s why we create fun, themed team (and solo) challenges – challenges that encourage you, reward you, and give you gentle nudges to keep going, keep reaching, and keep being your best.
It’s so important to challenge ourselves in life, but it’s also important to be kind to ourselves.
We’d always recommend setting goals that feed into your values; ones that nurture your wellbeing, inspire you with positivity, and gently push you to be the healthiest, happiest version of yourself. You’ll always find the most success if your goals are personal to you, and matter because they matter to you – not to somebody else.
To find out more about our wellbeing platform, get in touch today. We’re experts in goal-setting, and can’t wait to help you reach yours.
Related Health & Wellbeing Blogs
July 30th marks International Day of Friendship, and while that might sound a tad on the woolly side to some,…Read this blog